Monday, February 23, 2009

Declining Economy=Declining Spring Breaks?

Has the poor economy caused spring break to become a far reach for college students? Or does the economy not have much influence on college kids who aren’t working (and vacationing) off their own salary quite yet?

Jessica Mendola, a college junior, shares her thoughts on how the economy is impacting spring break seeking students, including herself.

Jessica, are you taking a spring break trip this year, why or why not?
- As a junior, I was really hoping to finally go on my first spring break this year; but with the economy as bad as it is- I don’t think I will be able to afford. And neither would my parents.

Do you think most American college students are in the same boat?
- Well, I know most of my friends aren’t taking a spring break. But I wouldn’t say that is the case for everyone. I know plenty of people excited for their warm- weathered spring breaks coming up. But for me, I don’t make enough to buy it on my own, and my parents aren’t in a position to fund it for me either.

That’s Jess’s take on it, but I think the situation varies for college students. So to get a more accurate idea, I contacted a few resorts in common spring break locations to research further. Leigh Havacon, an employee from The Royal All-Inclusive Resort in Cancun gave me some insight.


How many of your guests are from America?
- Most of our guests are American, from all over the country. They make up a large percentage of our guests staying here.


(here, a picture from the Royal in Cancun. I've stayed there, and trust me it's as good as it looks)

Do you get a lot of college students on spring break through the month of March?
- Yes, Cancun is a hot spot for the American college students.


Do you expect any decrease in reservations in comparison to March of 2008 due to the economy?
- No, we don’t expect any decrease. We are fully booked through March, and we haven’t had to adjust our rates. I don’t think the American economy is hurting the people that vacation consistently.


So while the economy may be making this spring break local for some college students, it doesn’t seem to be making any drastic decrease in vacationing for students, or resorts. If you’re still considering last minute spring break deals visit the following websites, all offer last minute packages: www.expedia.com, www.cheapflights.com, or www.travelocity.com

1 comment:

  1. I like the two sources! Nice touch.

    Again, don't shy away from hyperlinking your sources (travel sites) or even the in-story sources (the Royal in Cancun).

    ReplyDelete